Friday, May 30, 2008

Where will you move if your candidate of choice loses?

SUSAN SARANDON, who appeared in three films last year and won kudos for her TV movie "Bernard and Doris," is still not a contented soul. She says if John McCain gets elected, she will move to Italy or Canada. She adds, "It's a critical time, but I have faith in the American people."

From The NY Post

I don't for the life of me get these sorts of pronouncements. I have a little more time for celebrity endorsements. If you want someone elected, and you have some social cache, then you might as well use it. But these brave celebrities feigning quasi-refugee status in the wake of an undesirable election outcome have got to be some of the most self-aggrandizing folks in history. What exactly is their point? I can only think of a few possibilities.

1. I am so important to the cultural soul of America, that you'd better not vote for Candidate X, because if you do, I am gone!

2. I am such a fascinating being that you must want to know how strongly I oppose Candidate X.

I can't think of any other reasons for sharing this sort of information. In any case, I am saddened that her possible relocation will make the release of "Mr. Woodcock 2" highly unlikely.

No comments: